Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for all our workers and customers. To ensure we have a safe and healthy workplace, we have developed the following Communicable Disease Prevention Plan.
Management will be assigned to be the workplace coordinator and will be responsible for dealing with disease issues and their impact at the workplace. This may include contacting local health department and health care providers in advance and developing and implementing protocols for response to ill individuals.
Understand & Assess the Risks at the Workplace.
The virus that causes certain communicable diseases including COVID-19 spreads in several ways. It can spread in droplets when a person coughs or sneezes. It can also spread if you touch a contaminated surface then touch your face. The risk of person-to-person transmission increases the closer you come to other people, the more time you spend near them, and the more people you come near. The risk of surface transmission increases when many people contact the same surface and when those contacts happen over short periods of time.
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. has identified areas where there may be risks, either through close physical proximity or through contaminated surfaces.
- We have involved front line workers, supervisors and the joint health and safety committee.
- We have identified areas where people gather, such as break rooms and meeting rooms.
- We have identified job tasks and processes where workers are close to one another or members of the public. (e.g. office, shop, crew trucks)
- We have identified the tools, machinery, and equipment that workers share while working.
- We have identified surfaces that people touch often such as doorknobs, front counter/table in office, debit machine.
Policies & Procedures to Reduce the Risks.
First Level Protection (Elimination): Ensure physical distancing.
Measures in Place
- Workers working on job sites to practice physical distancing if possible. Physical distancing with customers at job sites and other workers.
- Workers have individual workstations with an area that provides 2 meters of separation from other individuals.
- During group activities including site meetings/safety meetings shall be held in open spaces or outside.
Second Level Protection (Engineering): Barriers & Partitions
Measures in Place
- Erecting barriers between staff and customers (where it does not negatively impact business operations.)
- All counters, tables and surfaces are wiped down and disinfected before and after every shift.
Third Level Protection (Administrative): Rules and Guidelines
Measures in Place
- Using –single-use products.
- Promoting hygienic workplace practices, including and not limited to: handwashing and cleaning.
- Wiping down all trucks, equipment and tools after use.
- Training on the Communicable Disease Containment Plan and COVID-19 Safety Plan.
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. We have reviewed information on cleaning and disinfecting surfaces, our workplace has enough hand washing facilities on site for all workers. We have policies that specify when workers wash their hands and we have communicated good hygiene practices to workers. We have implemented cleaning protocols for all common areas-e.g., washrooms, equipment, vehicle interiors, shared tables, desks, light switches, and door handles. This includes the frequency items must be cleaned (number of times per day) as well as timing (before and after shift \, after lunch, after use). All workers who are cleaning have adequate training and materials.
Office- Door handles, light switches are to be disinfected before and after each shift. Washrooms will be cleaned daily as no customers are to use office washroom. Hand sanitizer is provided for workers and customers.
Tools & Equipment- All equipment and Shared tools are disinfected between every use.
Workers- Workers are to wash hand frequently throughout the day, or use hand sanitizer. Practice physical distancing on all job sites.
Workers are encouraged to practice respiratory etiquette:
- Cough or sneeze into elbow sleeve.
- Dispose tissues in garbage cans.
- Wash hands with plain soap and water for at least 20-30 seconds or use an alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content.
- Avoid touching ones face.
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. employees working in the field are still required to wear standard PPE (work boots, gloves, reflective clothing) as required based on risk associated with the tasks.
Our workplace policies ensure that workers and other showing symptoms of COVID-19 are prohibited from the workplace.
- Anyone who has had symptoms of a Communicable Disease or any sickness in the last 10 day. Symptoms include fever, chills, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, and new muscle aches or headache.
- Anyone directed by Public Health to self-isolate.
- Anyone who has arrived from outside of Canada or who has had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case must self-isolate for 14 days and monitor for symptoms.
- Visitors are limited in the workplace.
- We have a working alone policy in place
- Ensure workers have the training and strategies required to address the risk of violence that may arise as customers and members of the public adapt to restrictions.
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. policy addresses workers who may start to feel ill at work. It includes the following:
- Sick workers will be asked to wash and sanitize their hands and isolate. The worker will be asked to go straight home. (Consult the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool, or call 811 for further guidance related to testing and self-isolation)
- If worker is severely ill (e.g., difficulty breathing, chest pain), call 911.
- Clean and disinfect any surfaces that the ill worker has come into contact with.
While the worker is experiencing symptoms, getting tested, or recovering from illness, their position is protected. Barring unforeseen circumstances, Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. will make every attempt possible to return the worker to the original position and duties they left, or as close of a position as possible that is available.
All targeted communicable disease interventions are non-stigmatized and respect confidentiality, this includes maintaining privacy for those seeking healthcare or who may be part of self-isolation.
Emotional support may be obtained through open and honest discussion with your manager/supervisor at any time, the Provincial Public Health Authority Helpline, and through Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. Employee Assistance Program (EAP) with Manulife 1-800-268-6195.
Communication Plan & Training
Everyone entering the workplace, including workers from other employers will be instructed on how to keep themselves safe while at the workplace. This includes:
- Reg Norman training plan to ensure everyone is trained in workplace policies and procedures.
- All workers will receive updated policies for staying home when sick.
- Posted signage in workplace (office, shop), reminding customers and staff of safety standards and procedures including effective hygiene practices.
- Posted Signage in the main entrance indicating who is restricted from entering the premises, including visitors and workers with symptoms.
- Supervisors have been trained on monitoring workers and the workplace to ensure policies and procedures are being followed.
The Workplace Coordinator will ensure that the appropriate public health alert information is provided in a timely manner during a public health emergency. This will include sharing alert conditions associated with pandemic phases to all Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. employees. The Workplace Coordinator will also be tracking business and employee statuses throughout the event of an outbreak.
In the event of an outbreak has impacted Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. ability to perform services the Workplace Coordinator will notify key contacts including customer, suppliers, and clients. The Workplace Coordinator will also inform customers, suppliers, and clients when operations are scheduled to resume.
Following a pandemic event, the Health & Safety Coordinator shall identify learning opportunities and take action to implement any corrective actions.
Monitoring the Workplace
Things may change while business operates in this case Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. will take steps to update our policies and procedures.
Workers will follow the plan in place to monitor risks, if needed changes will be made. All workers report to management with all health and safety concerns. When resolving safety issues, we will involve the joint health and safety committee.
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. will conduct reviews and updates to this Safety Plan based on evolving National and Provincial Health Authorities guidance, at a minimal of annual.
Assess and Address Risks from Resuming Operations
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. has not had to shut down during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
In the event of operations stopping and then restarting, Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. will have a training plan around changes, such as new processes and products. As well as review the start-up requirements for vehicles and equipment.
Workers are encouraged to obtain appropriate immunizations to help avoid disease. Granting time off work to obtain the vaccine will be considered when the vaccine becomes available in the community.
Updated April 2022.