Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for all our workers and customers. To ensure we have a safe and healthy workplace, we have developed the following COVID-19 Safety Plan.
Assess the risks at the workplace
The virus that causes COVID-19 spreads in several ways. It can spread in droplets when a person coughs or sneezes. It can also spread if you touch a contaminated surface then touch your face. The risk of person-to-person transmission increases the closer you come to other people, the more time you spend near them, and the more people you come near. The risk of surface transmission increases when many people contact the same surface and when those contacts happen over short periods of time.
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. has identified areas where there may be risks, either through close physical proximity or through contaminated surfaces.
- We have involved front line workers, supervisors and the joint health and safety committee.
- We have identified areas where people gather, such as break rooms and meeting rooms.
- We have identified job tasks and processes where workers are close to one another or members of the public. (e.g. office, shop, crew trucks)
- We have identified the tools, machinery, and equipment that workers share while working.
- We have identified surfaces that people touch often such as doorknobs, front counter/table in office, debit machine.
Protocols to Reduce the Risks
First Level Protection (Elimination): Limit the number of people at the workplace to ensure physical distancing.
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. has established and posted an occupancy limit for our premises as well as implemented measures to keep workers and others at least 2 meters apart.
Measures in Place
- Reducing the number of customers allowed in the office, only 2 at one time.
- Signs in place in office and outside to promote physical distancing keeping workers and customers 2 meters apart.
- Limiting the number of people in the crew trucks for camp runs and increasing the number of vehicles in circulation to enable less riders on each.
- Limiting the number of people allowed in trucks going to job sites, one person per vehicle.
- Workers working on job sites to practice physical distancing if possible. Physical distancing with customers at job sites and other workers.
- Workers have individual workstations with an area that provides 2 meters of separation from other individuals.
- During group activities including site meetings/safety meetings shall be held in open spaces or outside.
- Where physical distancing between workers is not practical for extended periods of time work pods/crews will be assigned. This will ensure close contact only occurs within a select small group.
Second Level Protection (Engineering): Barriers & Partitions
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. has installed barriers where workers can keep physically distant from co-worker, customers, or others. As well included barrier cleaning in our cleaning protocols.
Measures in Place
- A table is placed in front of the front desk at the office to physically distance workers from customers.
- Plastic wrap is placed over the debit machine
- Face masks/Gloves can be worn on camp runs.
- All counters, tables and surfaces are wiped down and disinfected after every customer as well as the plastic changed on the debit machine after every use.
- Where possible, each worker will utilize their own tools throughout their employment, each fuel/crew truck will be equipped with its own set of tools. If not possible shared tools will be disinfected between uses.
- When working with shared tools, leather work gloves are to be worn.
Third Level Protection (Administrative): Rules and Guidelines
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. has identified rules and guidelines for how workers should conduct themselves and have clearly communicated these rules to workers through training and signage.
Measures in Place
- Using –single-use products
- Wiping down all trucks, equipment and tools after use.
- Crew trucks being used for camp runs have limited people.
- Face masks/gloves may be work on camp runs.
- Training on the Disease Containment Plan and COVID-19 Safety Plan
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. We have reviewed information on cleaning and disinfecting surfaces, our workplace has enough hand washing facilities on site for all workers. We have policies that specify when workers wash their hands and we have communicated good hygiene practices to workers. We have implemented cleaning protocols for all common areas-e.g., washrooms, equipment, vehicle interiors, shared tables, desks, light switches, and door handles. This includes the frequency items must be cleaned (number of times per day) as well as timing (before and after shift \, after lunch, after use). All workers who are cleaning have adequate training and materials.
Office- Door handles, light switches are to be disinfected before and after each shift. Debit machine will have plastic changed and disinfected after every customer as well as table and desk. Washrooms will be cleaned daily as no customers are to use office washroom. Hand sanitizer is provided for workers and customers.
Crew Trucks- Crew trucks doing camp runs at the start of each day and throughout the day, drivers clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces in the vehicle (e.g. door handles, steering wheel and controls, arm rests, radio, seat belts and dash controls etc.). Employee crew trucks driving to sight will be cleaned and disinfected daily after each shift. All crew trucks will be provided with disinfecting spray/wipes, garbage bags, gloves, and face masks.
Tools & Equipment- All equipment and Shared tools are disinfected between every use.
Workers- Workers are to wash hand frequently throughout the day, or use hand sanitizer. Practice physical distancing on all job sites.
Workers are encouraged to practice respiratory etiquette:
- Cough or sneeze into elbow sleeve.
- Dispose tissues in garbage cans.
- Wash hands with plain soap and water for at least 20-30 seconds or use an alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content.
- Avoid touching ones face.
Our workplace policies ensure that workers and other showing symptoms of COVID-19 are prohibited from the workplace.
- Anyone who has had symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 10 day. Symptoms include fever, chills, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, and new muscle aches or headache.
- Anyone directed by Public Health to self-isolate.
- Anyone who has arrived from outside of Canada or who has had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case must self-isolate for 14 days and monitor for symptoms.
- Visitors are limited in the workplace.
- We have a working alone policy in place
- Ensure workers have the training and strategies required to address the risk of violence that may arise as customers and members of the public adapt to restrictions.
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. policy addresses workers who may start to feel ill at work. It includes the following:
- Sick workers will be asked to wash and sanitize their hands and isolate. The worker will be asked to go straight home. (Consult the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool, or call 811 for further guidance related to testing and self-isolation)
- If worker is severely ill (e.g., difficulty breathing, chest pain), call 911.
- Clean and disinfect any surfaces that the ill worker has come into contact with.
All targeted communicable disease interventions are non-stigmatized and respect confidentiality, this includes maintaining privacy for those seeking healthcare or who may be part of self-isolation.
Communication Plan & Training
Everyone entering the workplace, including workers from other employers will be instructed on how to keep themselves safe while at the workplace. This includes:
- Reg Norman training plan to ensure everyone is trained in workplace policies and procedures.
- All workers will receive updated policies for staying home when sick.
- Posted signage in workplace (office, shop), including occupancy limits and effective hygiene practices.
- Posted Signage in the main entrance indicating who is restricted from entering the premises, including visitors and workers with symptoms.
- Supervisors have been trained on monitoring workers and the workplace to ensure policies and procedures are being followed.
Monitoring the Workplace
Things may change while business operates in this case Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. will take steps to update our policies and procedures.
Workers will follow the plan in place to monitor risks, if needed changes will be made. All workers report to management with all health and safety concerns. When resolving safety issues, we will involve the joint health and safety committee.
Assess and Address Risks from Resuming Operations
Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. has not had to shut down during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
In the event of operations stopping and then restarting, Reg Norman Trucking Ltd. will have a training plan around changes, such as new processes and products. As well as review the start-up requirements for vehicles and equipment.